Sunday, May 20, 2007

I got a mac!

I got a new macbook laptop 2 weeks ago after a "fault" with my old laptop, which turned out to be not a fault at all but an act of stupidity on my behalf. So now I have two really cool laptops.
I guess I'll have to give my 2 cents on the mac vs. PC debate. I'm not interested which one is more powerful, which can process more flops, video, floating point calcuations etc... That debate is purely academic and it seriously doesn't make a noticable difference. What's more important is the user interface and how easy it is to accomplish what you want. lets just say that some things are easier to do on Mac (eg graphic design) and others easier on PC (eg business tools like Word and Excel).
I'm still getting used to the single button mouse.
iLife is a nice interface but I wish it would integrate an option for my elgato TV tuner.
Comic life is brilliant so expect to see some comics when i can be bothered.
A few annoying bits. like mini DVI??? given the size and weight of the macbook (it's a bit of a porker for its screen size) there's no need to use a non-standard port that doesn't save that much space. mini DVI is rubbish and is just a cynical ploy by apple to suck more money out of you by having to buy their proprietary connectors. Most of the time the mac does what you want, and automatically second guesses you. except when you want to do something unusual. then it's over-simplified user interface make it impossible to get it to do what you want.
A pleasant surprise was the native UNIX terminal. vastly superior to terminal emulators on PC. makes life easy for me to connect to UNIX and LINUX servers.
They say once you try mac you can't go back. well from what I've found so far, this is a load of rubbish. mac is a great machine excellent at some things but inferior at others. for my needs, I'm not giving up a PC just yet.

No comments: